Hoboken Public Library – Hoboken, NJ 07030
The Hoboken Public Library (HPL) in Hoboken, New Jersey, is seeking a Literacy Specialist to plan, develop and implement diverse and engaging literacy programs to meet and exceed the needs of the community; collaborates with library staff to enhance library programs with focus on literacy and adult lifelong learning; develops English as a Second Language (ESL) programs working with Friends of the Library volunteer tutors to ensure high quality continuous programs to support a growing need in the community; works with the Children’s Librarian on sustaining and increasing programming in the area of early literacy; and establishes a GED testing center to serve as a hub of promotion of literacy programs for the community. This position will report to the Senior Adult Programming Specialist.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leads and expand information conversational English Language instructions.
- Prepares community literacy needs analysis and conduct periodic literacy programming needs assessments to identify current and future literacy programming needs.
- Develops ESL classes curriculum
- Trains volunteer tutors for the ESL program.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with Friends of the Library, local community organizations, interest-groups and underserved populations to identify ways that the library can support these communities through well-developed literacy programs.
- In collaboration with colleagues, plans, prepares, promotes and implements signature literacy programming (for example, adult lifelong learning lecture series.
- Establishes GED testing center and coordinate schedule for the exams.
- Develops and presents comprehensive literacy programs using learning software and online courses..
- Maintains the literacy classes schedule on the library’s web page.
- Keeps current with knowledge, trends, and resources related to literacy library programming
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Master’s or Bachelor Degree with concentration on English language teaching instruction.
- Skills in active learning and one or more years working experience in active learning
- Comfort in working with flexible public program spaces
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent planning, organization, and problem solving skills requiring critical and strategic thinking
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment with competing demands
- A passion for public libraries
- Commitment to customer service
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of current literacy trends of the community served.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of literacy materials and software.
- Works well independently and as a member of a team.
- Active, patient listener who intuitively understands people’s needs.
- Engages well with others. Passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- Inspires fun in the people interfaced with.
- Shares responsibility for building literacy collection for all age service groups..
- Capable and effective public speaker.
- Ability to work nights and weekends
Additional Position Requirements:
- New Jersey residency required by the “New Jersey First Act”, N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70). Candidates who do not reside in New Jersey, have one year after the date employment begins to relocate their residence to New Jersey. Employees not establishing New Jersey residency within this one year period are subject to removal from this position.
- Able to work with or without reasonable accommodation in a shared work area, to stand and move around for three or more hours at a time. Incumbents need to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, climb and push/pull; and be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Bilingual Spanish language skills and/or American Sign Language skills would be helpful, but not required.
Job Type: Full -Time
Salary Range: $45,000 to $55,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Expected Start Date: on or by March 25, 2019
Application Process: Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references, and salary expectations to: Michael Shao, HR Consultant, via email email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. E.S.T., March 4, 2019.