Manager, IT / IT Administrator
Hoboken Public Library – Hoboken, NJ 07030
The Hoboken Public Library (HPL) in Hoboken, New Jersey, is seeking an experienced and self-motivated Information Technology (IT) professional to provide overall technology support and implement technology strategy for the library; provide all aspects of day-to-day technical support, troubleshooting, and resolving hardware, software, server, and network problems; support the LAN and WAN; install software; prepare and maintain system/application documentation; maintain hardware and software inventory; develop hardware and software replacement plans; and perform related tasks. This position reports to the Library Director.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains all library computer technology, including the critical updates of associated hardware and software.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of additions, deletions and major modifications to the library’s technology infrastructure.
- Maintains Library network; implements network security; and manages secure network access.
- Installs new and replacement hardware components on microcomputers and peripherals; Windows operating systems and upgrades; and other applications software.
- Troubleshoots and implements routing, cabling and wireless local area network connection solutions to provide timely service for library customers and staff.
- Performs routine maintenance and troubleshooting for telecommunications and network hardware, cabling and peripherals.
- Performs nightly server backups, manages rotation schedule, and offsite disaster recovery and retention tapes, and maintains tape, backup status and maintenance logs.
- Performs emergency troubleshooting of network and server problems during off hours either remotely or in the building as needed.
- Maintains hardware and software related to specialized library services, including the BCCLS ILS, PC Reservation system, and other systems.
- Trains IT staff and other library staff through both formal and informal training programs including the operation of computer hardware and software.
- Communicates effectively with vendors to identify needs, build and maintain lasting vendor relationships, and evaluates alternative business solutions.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- The Manager, IT / IT Administrator must have graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Significant knowledge or background in online systems, LANs/WANs, telecommunications networks and application software required.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with Windows Server, Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365 or the most recent version of Microsoft products, Apple products, and professional and Internet applications, required. Four (4) or more years of experience with these products and applications preferred.
- NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience as indicated above on a year-for-year basis.
- NOTE: A Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related area (Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.) may be substituted for two to four or more years of the experience as indicated above. Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science preferred.
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office;
- computer, network operations and maintenance;
- software applications;
- www and HTML;
- emerging technology trends;
- WordPress, Drupal, and other CMS platforms; and
- Google Apps
Additional Position Requirements:
- New Jersey residency required by the “New Jersey First Act”, N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70). Candidates who do not currently reside in New Jersey have one year after the date they begin employment to relocate their residence to New Jersey. If this is not done, the employee is subject to removal from this position.
- Able to work with or without reasonable accommodation in a shared work area, to stand and move around for three or more hours at a time and to lift 50 pounds from varying heights (e.g. printers, computer monitor, etc.). Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
- Must be able to assist customers/staff and observe general surroundings.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and work on a computer screen for extended time periods.
- Bilingual Spanish language skills would be helpful.
Job Type: Full -Time
Salary Range: $55,000 to $70,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Expected Start Date: February 4, 2019
Application Process: Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references, and salary expectations to: Michael Shao, HR Consultant, via email firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. E.S.T., January 7, 2019.