- Patrons need to present their library card to check out materials. (Please Note: The card should belong to the person presenting it.)
- Multimedia materials need to be checked out no later than 15 minutes before closing.
Circulation Periods, Item Limits,
and Renewal Limits
The following items circulate for 2 days
- Museum Passes – 1 pass per family/ no renewals * (including American Museum of Natural History, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Children’s Museum of Manhattan, Cooper-Hewitt , Frick Museum, Guggenheim, Hoboken Historical Museum, Intrepid, Museum of the City of New York, Newark Museum & New York Historical Society) *Passes may only be borrowed by Adult Hoboken cardholders.
The following items circulates for 1 week, with up to 3 renewals, if not on hold for other patrons.
- DVD’s & BluRays
The following items circulate for 2 weeks, with up to 3 renewals, if not on reserve.
- Console Games (limit 3)
- Magazines (latest issue does not circulate)
- New books
- Kindles (Fire, Paperwhite & Voyagers)
- DVD Series (Titles including more than 3 discs)
The following items circulate for 4 weeks, with up to 3 renewals, if not on reserve.
- CD’s (Music)
- Children’s books
- Young Adult Books
- Adult books (other than new books)
Please note: There is a general item limit of 50 items charged out to a patron’s account at one time.
Special note: Please see the special “Fine-Free Summer” program’s details available here.
Please note: Library materials are borrowed free of charge, however, items not returned by the due date will be assessed a late fee. Late fees are not charged for days the library is closed. Patrons owing $10.00 or more are automatically blocked and will be unable to check out or renew items until fines are paid.
All books, Audiobooks, Playaways, Read-a-longs, Music CD’s, DVD’s & BluRay’s: .10 cents a day ($5.00 maximum fine)
Console Games: $1.00 per day ($10.00 maximum fine)
iPads & Kindles: $5.00 per day ($20.00 maximum fine)
Museum Passes : $5.00 per day ($20.00 maximum fine)
Late Notices: Patron accounts will be charged cost of postage for each notice mailed.Audio-visual drop box: Library patrons should return all media materials DVDs, BluRays, Audiobooks, Playaways, CDs, Console Games) in the special audio-visual material drop box located outside the library entrance
In-Person renewals: Patrons need to present their library card or photo ID at the time of renewal.
Phone renewals: Patrons need to provide their 14-digit library card number when renewing by phone. Please note: Phone renewals need to be made during library hours, please do not leave your library card number on voicemail.
Online renewals: To renew online go to http://catalog.bccls.org/polaris select My Account (located on the top menu bar) enter your Library barcode/User name and PIN/Password where prompted. Select Items Out, when your list appears check the boxes next to the titles you want to renew, scroll down and click Renew These Items. Wait until the list reloads with the new date due. Log Out.
Maximum renewals – All Hoboken library materials can be renewed 3 times, although items on reserve or hold cannot be renewed.