The Friends of the Hoboken Public Library, a membership-based organization that funds special Library programs and services, sponsors a great Library benefit: FREE museum passes that can be checked out like books. Simply request Museum Passes at the Library’s Circulation Desk. In order to keep these passes safe and available for all patron’s use, when checking out passes, please be aware of the below conditions:
• Passes are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved over the phone.
• Passes are for Adult Hoboken residents with valid HPL cards, and holders of One-Year Modified Adult cards (people who work or attend school in Hoboken).*
• Only one set of passes (for the same museum) per patron per month.
• Only one set of two vouchers to the American Museum of Natural History will be issued per family per year.
• Passes may be checked out for a 48-hour period and should be returned in-person to the first-floor Circulation Desk. In the case of the American Museum of Natural History’s voucher-based system, vouchers will be taken at the AMNH; therefore no return is required.
• A fee of $5 per day per patron will be charged for late returns of passes.
• Report the loss of a pass immediately to the first-floor Circulation Desk. The Library will impose a $25 fine for lost passes. Since this fine will not cover the actual cost of these expensive passes; we ask patrons to be considerate and keep the passes safe.
• You will be asked to sign a Library form agreeing to the above-referenced terms when checking out the passes.
* Passes are not available to “Courtesy” or “Hudson County” card holders.
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192
Hours: Open daily from 10 am – 5:45 pm
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas
- One set of two vouchers per family per year, good toward two free general admission tickets and one ticket toward one of the following:
- Special temporary exhibitions*, or
- LeFrak Theatre 2D or 3D film, or
- The Hayden Planetarium Space Show, or
- The Butterfly Conservatory (when open)
*Voucher-holding Library patrons also receive the discounted AMNH Members’ rate on additional temporary special exhibition tickets when purchased that day
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Entrance at 990 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
November: Tuesday – Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm, Saturday & Sunday 10 am – 4:30 pm
Closed Thanksgiving Day
December – February Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Open Monday Martin Luther King Day and President’s Day
Summer Hours: Tuesday*–Friday: 8 a.m.–6 p.m. , Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
*Tuesdays in July & August: 8 a.m.–8:30 p.m.
- One pass includes admission for 2 adults and all children under the age of 16; the Library has two passes available for check-out.
Children’s Museum of Manhattan
212 West 83rd Street
New York, NY 10024
Hours: Tuesday – Friday 10 am – 5 pm; Saturday 10 am – 7 pm; Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
Closed Mondays *Except select Monday holidays
- One pass provides free admission for 4 guests (2 adults + 2 children, or 1 adult + 3 children); the Library has two passes available for check-out.
- Passes include discounts at number of family entertainment venues, including:
● 2-for-1 Admission at Victorian Gardens Amusement Park (Monday – Friday; seasonal)
● 10% Discount at A Time for Children
● 10% Discount at New Victory Theater1
● 10% Discount at Little Orchestra Society – please call 212-971-9500
● $2 Discount off adult admission for a guided tour of the Lincoln Center
2 East 91st Street
New York, NY 10128
Hours: Monday – Friday and Sunday, 10 am – 6 pm; Saturday, 10 am – 9 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas.
- One pass includes admission for 2 adults and children under 18; the Library has two passes available for check-out.
- 10% discount at the Café & SHOP Cooper Hewitt
- Discounted program tickets
- Free access to Cocktails at Cooper Hewitt
- Discounted Parking
The Frick Collection
1 East 70th Street (between Fifth and Madison Avenues)
New York, NY 10021
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm, Sunday: 11 am – 5 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
- One pass provides admission for one person; the Library has four passes available for check-out.
- Discounts on concerts and education programs
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY
Hours: Sunday – Wednesday: 10 am – 5:45 pm
Fridays: 10 am – 5:45 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 7:45 pm
- One pass provides free express admission for up to four adults or students, plus half-price admission for a maximum of two additional guests. Children under 12 years of age are always free; the Library has two passes available for check-out.
- 10% savings at the Guggenheim Store.
12th Avenue & West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036
Spring/Summer: (April 1 – October 31) Monday – Friday: 10 am – 5 pm; Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: 10 am – 6 pm
Fall/Winter: (November 1 – March 31) Daily (including Holidays): 10 am – 5 pm.
Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas
- One pass provides free general admission for up to six (6) people* to the Intrepid Museum, Space Shuttle Pavilion and the submarine Growler; the Library has two passes available for check-out
- Access to the Express Members-Only Line
- Free yearly general admission for up to six (6) people per day to the Intrepid Museum, Space Shuttle Pavillion and the submarine Growler.
- Express Members-only line.
- 10% discount on Intrepid Museum Memberships for library patrons.
*All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult for entry into the Museum. No Exceptions. Guests under the age of 16 unaccompanied by an adult will not be permitted to enter the Museum.
Museum of the City of NY
1220 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10029
Hours: Monday – Sunday: 10 am – 6 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year’s Day
- One pass offers admission for two adults and up to four children; the Library has two passes available for check-out
- Discounts on Public Programs, including panel discussions, concerts, book talks, and film screenings
- Free admission to Family Programs, including tours and workshops for children ages 6-12
- 20% discount in the Museum Shop and Chalsty’s Cafe.
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Hours: Wednesday – Sunday: Noon – 5 pm.
Closed Mondays & Tuesdays (except for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
New Year’s Day, July 4, Thanksgiving Day and December 25.
- One pass provides entrance for 2 adult and all children (through age 17); the Library has two passes available for check-out
- 10% off at the Museum Shop
- Discounted entrance to Planetarium.
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024
Hours: Tuesday-Thursday & Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm; Friday: 10 am – 8 pm; Sunday: 11 am – 5 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas
- One pass provides free general admission for two to the New- York Historical Society Museum & Library and DiMenna Children’s History Museum and admission for four children under 18; the Library has two passes available for check-out
- Also includes up to two discounted tickets for most public and family programs.
Storm King Art Center
1 Museum Road
New Windsor, NY 12553
Hours: Storm King will reopen Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
2020 Winter Weekends
January 18 – 19: 11AM – 4PM
February 15 – 16: 11AM – 4PM
March 21 – 22: 11AM – 4PM
- One pass provides free general admission for two ; the Library has two passes available for check-out
More Museum Options!
Liberty Science Center
Liberty State Park
222 Jersey City Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Hours: Tuesday – Friday 9 am – 4 pm; Saturday & Sunday: 9 am – 5:30 pm
- Show your Library card for $3.00 off your ticket!
Hoboken Historical Museum
1301 Hudson St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Hours: Tuesday -Thursday: 2 pm – 7 pm; Fridays: 1 pm – 5 pm; Saturday & Sunday: Noon – 5 pm
Please note: Early closing on New Year’s Eve, at 3 pm
- Be sure to visit and support your local Museum
Hoboken Fire Department Museum
213 Bloomfield Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Hours: Saturday & Sunday: 12 – 5 p.m.
- Be sure to visit your local Museum
Updated 9/22/2019: MC